This thought provoking film is one everyone should watch, not just pregnant mothers, but everyone. We have to ask ourselves, why are physicians not being no longer doing breech delivery? What is going on that is making physicians afraid to perform breech delivery? Fear of colleagues? Fear of insurance companies pulling their malpractice coverage? Or were they just never taught how to deliver breech?
When the doctors that are willing to deliver breech babies start to retire, what is going to happen to the future of our species micro-biome if we continue to slice every time a provider isn’t comfortable with a variation of normal and gives their client a skewed informed consent*? What is your doctor’s stance on breech delivery? And yes, I’m fired up about this.
I support every woman’s choice in the birth they choose, I do not support providers skewing information to benefit themselves.
A breech baby is born nearly every four minutes in the United States. Until the year 2000, a woman could opt to birth her breech baby vaginally or via surgery. Then, in 2001, a study came out that took away one of those options. The study was later found to be faulty, but the damage was already done–vaginal breech birth was almost completely eliminated from medical school training and from delivery rooms.
Heads Up features several women confronted with the disappearance of this option for their breech babies. Among others, actress Morena Baccarin and holistic living personality Kimberly Van Der Beek struggle to find providers who will attend them in a vaginal breech birth–all under the pressure of their imminent due dates. Through their personal accounts and the perspectives of medical professionals, Heads Up explores this widely misunderstood subject and the need to restore this lost art and lost option. — informedpregnancy.com
The way you birth is your choice. It’s your right. Do not allow a physician to take that away. Research your options so that you can make informed decisions and consents based on evidence based information.
- Coalition for Breech Birth – breechbirth.ca/Welcome.html
- Informed Pregnancy – informedpregnancy.com
- Evidence Based Birth – evidencebasedbirth.com
- ACOG Committee Opinion from 2001 – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11755586
- Louisiana Natural Birth – louisiananaturalbirth.com
- Louisiana Constituents for Safe Childbirth – safechildbirthla.com
- 3 Short Breech Stories – midwiferytoday.com/articles/3surprisebreeches.asp
Providers in the South Louisiana area open to discussing and possibly delivering vaginal breech
- Dr. Jennifer Lapeyrolerie (Dr. Lap), New Orleans
- Dr. Sharon Hedges, Baton Rouge
- Midwives at Ochsner, Baton Rouge
- Dr. Ryan Dickerson, Baton Rouge
- Dr Christine L. Cimo Hemphill, Covington
Home births. Breech births. May not be for everyone. But informed decision making is. — Kimberly Van Der Beek
Film by Los Angeles chiropractor Dr. Elliot Berlin